445 pages (118 figures, 74 tables) $129.99
Published August 2004 ISBN-10: 0975487108 ISBN-13: 978-0975487105
Traffic Safety applies the methods of science to better understand one of the world�s major problems -- harm in road traffic.
"Highly readable, entertaining, and educational" writes one reviewer; another describes it as even better than the author�s 1991 classic Traffic Safety and the Driver, and another as a fascinating book that will become a valuable reference and resource. (see reviews).
Traffic Safety goes to the heart of the problem, with unconstrained analyses and bold identification of more effective countermeasures.
Traffic Safety covers the broad field of traffic safety in its 16 chapters:
2. Data sources
3. Overview of traffic fatalities
4. Vehicle mass and size
5. Environment, roadway, and vehicle
6. Gender, age, and alcohol effects on survival
7. Older drivers
8. Driver performance
9. Driver behavior
11. Occupant protection
12. Airbag benefits, airbag costs
13. Measures to improve traffic safety
14. How you can reduce your risk
15. The dramatic failure of US safety policy
16. Vision for a safer tomorrow*
Text only of all chapters (html without, figures, tables, equations, or reference annotations in text) is available.
Index provides detailed list of topics (page numbers refer to those in the book -- not available in html version).